Book Review; The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke #1)

 
 picture from Goodreads

Book ID
original title; The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever
Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 26th 2007 by Avon (first published June 1st 2007)
ISBN 0061230839 (ISBN13: 9780061230837)

literary awards
RITA Award by Romance Writers of America for Best Regency Historical Romance (2008)
 
My Rating
 
 And I wrote this review at 2 AM -never be sure that was a morning or night-..
End of chapter 19.
And –at first- I decided to close the book because the night just too late. But suddenly everything changed when the fire nation attacked (maksudnya mau bilang ‘tapi tiba-tiba semuanya berubah saat negara api menyerang) ... oh.my.GOD the plot twist!!! I sat so quick and almost cried out 'Whahahahaat?!!' (To be noted, this is midnight, the cry in this hour won’t be tolerated) ㅠ. ㅠ

Why oh why the regret should come too late??

Well, why I love this book a lot:
  1. Turner! *of course Turner!!* .. This hero in white armor is such a bad boy who difficult to hate.. And although I wish I can be mad with one or more of his decisions and actions, Turner is just too sweet to be our enemy. And, oh, as low as Turner looked at himself, he respect and love his mother. Itself may cost 10000 from me. 
  2. Miranda. Our heroine is a bookworm. Be a girl who loves book at 1800ish looks like a difficult choice, and I love her for it. 
  3. The insult fight between the characters are smart. Witty. Sometimes also a bit silly.. 
  4. And, the plot twist. 


And by those points, I forget why I can’t let myself gave a better rating. Eum,, I think 3,5 from me is good enough, but there are some reason why I can’t gave 4, but I forget what they are… ^^

So this is the first book of Bevelstoke series., The setting is in England (United Kingdom), 1820ish, so yep, of course it’s a historical book. Our heroine, Miranda Cheever is a clumsy girl who love books,, she is one of people who seems more old then her true age. Because sometimes, you just can be more wisher if you read a lot of other people’s life., She have a smart brain and mouth. That are one(s) of reason why she can be so lovely.
And we also have Nigel ‘Turner’ Bevelstoke.. He is so.. soo… so….. sick. And that’s why I love him. He is an angel who becomes evil because life wants to turn him that way. He seems to lose the light of his kindness and be blind by that. And because sometimes you just can be so comfortable in your dark spot, when the light touch you again, you may try to reject it. And Turner rejects the light a lot.


(Goodreads Said.....)

 2 March 1810 . . . Today, I fell in love.

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her—until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.

But the years that followed were as cruel to Turner as they were kind to Miranda. She is as intriguing as the viscount boldly predicted on that memorable day—while he is a lonely, bitter man, crushed by a devastating loss. But Miranda has never forgotten the truth she set down on paper all those years earlier—and she will not allow the love that is her destiny to slip lightly through her fingers . . .

Comments

Popular Posts