[Review] The Vegetarian by Han Kang

Title: The Vegetarian
Original Title: 채식주의자
Author: Han Kang
English Translation: Deborah Smith

credit: Goodreads.com
MyStars: 3.78

Here to Get a Copy

 Goodreads said:
Before the nightmare, Yeong-hye and her husband lived an ordinary life. But when splintering, blood-soaked images start haunting her thoughts, Yeong-hye decides to purge her mind and renounce eating meat. In a country where societal mores are strictly obeyed, Yeong-hye's decision to embrace a more “plant-like” existence is a shocking act of subversion. And as her passive rebellion manifests in ever more extreme and frightening forms, scandal, abuse, and estrangement begin to send Yeong-hye spiraling deep into the spaces of her fantasy. In a complete metamorphosis of both mind and body, her now dangerous endeavor will take Yeong-hye—impossibly, ecstatically, tragically—far from her once-known self altogether.
 What a gloomy book.

My first impression for this book was “This book... It’s so weird.” Why? Maybe just because I really have no idea that the journey this book held would be like . . . this.

Well, the truth is, I actually have no expectation about the book. At all. I don’t like reading synopsis or blurb. And I also minimize my possibility to stumble into everyone who talk about this book. And yet, I’m still surprised with how gloom this book is. Depressed. Dark.

Everything started with a dream. Dreams.
Divided into three parts, the first part; The Vegetarian 《 #채식주의자 》 is a part when we got to know Yong Hye (Yong He? 영혜). How dreams can be a trigger that lead to a change. A huge one. Maybe the accumulation of all hurts form outside and within herself. The second part; Mongolian Mark 《 #몽고반점 》, and the third part; Flaming Trees 《 #나무불꽃 》each are from Yong Hye’s brother in-law and her sister; In Hye, point of view. How this story effect their life.

After all, I really enjoy my read. Well, maybe not enjoy it. I’m stricken. This book is a new color in my read journey.
Oh, and by the way, the word Yong He (영혜) means spiritual. And . . . then? Nope, just .. maybe one of you want to know.

“I have dreams too, you know. Dreams . . . and I could let myself dissolve into them, let them take me over . . . but surely the dream isn’t all there is? We have to wake up at some point, don’t we? Because . . .  because then . . . ” (pg. 187)

It might be scary if we can’t wake up from a really bad dream.

And I do talk about book on my IG @tta13 ... met me and let's talk ^^

========
📚: Miss.K -

Comments

Popular Posts